Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Just a Rant

Finally, what I have been stating about the series, since day one: Fifty Shades of Grey Promotes Violence Against Women.
 
I read borrowed copies with a pen and notebook in hand and jotted down all of the same issues brought up in this study.  As someone that works with teenage girls and since these books (along with the Twilight series) are what many of my clients are reading--I felt I needed to read them in order to specifically address the issues.  In my opinion, these books set women back generations and I was mortified by the "jealous stalker as a hero" mentality. Most of the girls that I work with are still virgins, have never been in a relationship and are just developing their sexual identities--what a great example to provide them.  And despite what criticism I may receive, I didn't feel that the Twilight books were much better.
 
While I am ruffling feathers: Twilight Lessons Girls Learn
 
As a repeated survivor of domestic violence, as a therapist, as a women that had her mother murdered by an abusive husband, as a guide for teenage girls finding their way--both of these series trampled on my already raw nerves.
 
I posted a blog about Book One, earlier this year.  Since there were eight parts in book one that greatly irked me, thirty in book two and over twenty-five in book three?  I never did get around to blogging about the second two.  I am not an advocate of book burnings or of censorship, but I am an advocate for preventing wasted time reading bad books and the prevention of glorifying abusive relationships.  Promoting unhealthy relationships as not only normal, but appealing and desirable?  Very irresponsible and a huge setback for women as a whole.
 
Unfortunately, blogs like this one, that I just posted,  only encourage those that have managed to avoid the series to take a greater interest in seeing what all of the hype is about.  That was, in part, how I ended up reading them.  And no, it isn't about the sex in these books.  I am not a prude.  I am actually more on the verge of a sex fiend that struggles with finding partners that can keep up with my libido and had already explored the "taboos" in these books while still a teenager.  *yawns*  I had hopes that at least the sex scenes would make them worth reading.  Nope.  Penthouse Forum satisfies on a much deeper and healthier level, thank you.  Just one author's bad example of what they think "love" is and should be for women and girls everywhere.  Trade in the nice guys for the abusers.  Again, great message.  When emotional abuse is praised and taught as love, what hope is there for our youth?
 
And don't even get me started on the poor writing in the series...

No comments:

Post a Comment