Friday, November 1, 2013

Día de los Muertos

 
It's here! It's here! It's here! Día de los Muertos, my favorite holiday; yes, even above Halloween!!!  Sugar skulls, marigolds, flowers, face paint, food, beverages and candles! Offerings of gifts for the dead; graveside vigils and offerings--candles lit to guide the way...
 
 
Since I do not have time to get into it, today; I have also included the link to my 2011 post regarding Dia de los Muertos and why I began celebrating it.  Besides, of course, the fact that it is a beautiful holiday and so preferred over the American view of death; a private matter, that is best not talked about.  A view that leads to mental health issues, festering illness and eternal grief.
 
And so why not?  A celebration that honors the lives and memories of the ones who are no longer with us? A celebration suggesting that their life was worth living and therefore, remembering and honoring.  This just makes sense to me.  And would our loved ones not prefer us to be happy?  Would it be that the veil is indeed thin, I believe they would prefer the merriness to sorrow and tears.  I would, were it me behind the veil...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment