Friday, July 5, 2013

Civil Liberties?

"A man was pulled over and searched by police on the 4th of July at a DUI checkpoint in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  Although the man repeatedly exercised his constitutional rights to not be searched and followed the law, the officers bullied him and forced him out of the vehicle despite committing no crime.  The motorist’s car was then searched by a K-9 unit who was given a false alert signal by the police officer in order to search the vehicle for drugs."  ~from The Libertarian Republic.~ 
 
 
"He said that it is okay to take away Constitutional rights and civil liberties for reasons of safety." 
 
This was the same reason that my father gave for lying repeatedly in my 302 report.  Apparently, when you are doing nothing illegal, nothing wrong, PERIOD--even if you know your rights and alert the officials that what they are doing is unconstitutional--none of that matters. 
 
"You see it isn’t, nor should it be, required that you wait until a person has hurt themselves or others to evoke sufficient concern for people to step in and try to avert the potential for bad things happening..."   This was my father's response when I questioned how he found it permissible to lie and make false statements against me in a legal document.
 
When I told the police that I knew my rights and that they couldn't touch me; they whipped me around, they handcuffed me, they took my personal possessions and locked them in their trunk and I was thrown in the backseat of their car.  They refused to identify themselves.  They refused to tell me what I did wrong.  Welcome to civil liberties, indeed.
 
I still wonder, to this day, what would have happened had I refused to get out of my vehicle.  I thought that I knew my rights.  Well, I did know my rights.  I was correct.  They shouldn't have been allowed to take me from my property.  None of those events should have ever transpired.  Yet they did.  What are the rights of a civilian when the law officials decide they are right?   Rights?  We really don't have any. 
 
Welcome to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment