Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Friendship

One of my closest and dearest friends made the following statement, today: "It's always disappointing when you realize a 'friend' isn't a friend at all..."
 
I didn't put much thought into my response back, other than what my own experience has been: "Whomever they are, they clearly weren't worthy of your gifts.  Miss the person that you thought they were, but be glad to have discovered their true colors before you invested more time and energy into the relationship.  Be glad they are gone and move forward knowing that they never deserved a friend as true as you.  While it sucks, it seems that the absence of such people opens the door to new and better ones.  Their loss, sweetie."
 
Stopping and thinking about it, there are more than a few times that I wish I could have sent this message, back in time, to myself.  Even as I look around me now, I wish the message could so easily be taken without having the pain attached.  It is so difficult to let some of those people go.  Even knowing that they were never truly the people that I thought they were, I miss the façade of whom I thought that they were.  I don't know which is worse, missing them or knowing that they never truly were the person that I thought them to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment